Friday, September 3, 2010


Well, my father would be smirking. Meanwhile, I have sand between my teeth. Why? Because I literally had to crawl out of the ocean this morning after a sudden overly ambitious wave took too much of the sand from beneath my feet! The morning was lovely. It was very dark and cloudy and a buck stepped right in front of me through the fog suddenly. I took some rather nice photos underneath the tower. The fawns are so much taller now, and I do not think it was just the early hour that made their spots less visible.

The beach was humming with excitement as roll after roll of thunderous wave hurled itself onto the sand. There were more men than usual, standing with their arms crossed across their chests, smiling and staring out at the ocean . They seemed almost proud of what was going on, as if they had something to do with it. I had my camera with me, which I rarely do unless my husband is there to take it for me when it is time for me to go in. He wasn't with me, he elected to stay in bed when the alarm sounded this morning. There would be no 'going in' today with all the dire warnings about the force of the tide. I was just going to get my feet wet, so I was taking some shots. I walked for a bit ankle and shin-deep in the water, stopping to admire the spectacle now and again. One especially strong and large wave surprised me and got me wet up to my waist and I turned to walk out of it. It was a nice plan, but as the water rushed back out, it brought what was underneath me with it and I was brought to my knees , back to the waves. I hurt my arm. And my legs --- well, I couldn't really feel them enough to stand up. Another wave was coming and I literally had to crawl out on my hands and knees because the force of the water seemed too strong to gain balance in. At some point I judged I had crawled far enough and turned and just sat... a couple I see everyday were running towards me. From where they were standing I had just suddenly disappeared. Later they told me they lost their daughter-in-law three weeks ago. She had drowned. I couldn't stay where I was for too long, the waves were still pounding--- no doubt are pounding still. Hurt or no, I had to get up and get out of there. The camera is all sorts of jammed. There will be photos eventually, but it may take a while.

Those aspects of my father... they are most definitely the things he handed down. * I am laughing, too... big, stupid grin. What does it matter? It happened. You crawled out. You are going to be sore as hell. You are probably going to be on the news today (yes, interviewed just afterwards). You played an exhilarating game with a hurricane. You didn't win. It definitely twisted your arm behind your back until you said "Uncle!" But it was still a good game!


* see previous post

All photographs and text, unless otherwise noted, copyright (c) 2010 C.M. Carroll

No comments:

Post a Comment