Sunday, March 6, 2011

Thrills & Chills





Yet all how beautiful!
Pillars of pearl
Propping the cliffs above, stalactites bright
From the ice roof depending; and beneath,
Grottoes and temples with their crystal spires
And gleaming columns radiant in the sun.
~ William Henry Burleigh

Friday morning, somehow, I had a few extra minutes as I was making my way to my car door. Time enough to stop. Time enough to notice. And it is closer to spring. And therefore, closer to day when I am making my way to my car door. So I could see the frost on my old VW's back windshield. And I could fetch the camera from my bag and stop to try to capture it. And I did. As my hand reached for the door handle , I glanced across the roof-line of my Prius and saw something even more beautiful and stopped to capture that, too. What made me happier? The lovely fractals or the closer-to-spring light? I think I caught the last bits of winter in those photos above... because the next day, equally early in the morning, I noticed something of the coming season that thrilled me just as much. I will post that soon!
Up rose the wild old winter-king,
And shook his beard of snow;
"I hear the first young hard-bell ring,
'Tis time for me to go! Northward o'er the icy rocks,
Northward o'er the sea,
My daughter comes with sunny locks:
This land's too warm for me!"
~ Charles Godfrey Leland