Sunday, May 20, 2012

Oh, the excitement!




     Well, it was shaping up to be a pretty low-key Monday morning... I did not get enough sleep the night  before and my to-do list was long and my schedule for the day at school was tight. I did not really have much to look forward to UNTIL I met the maintenance man on the elevator and he told me there was a raccoon on the fourth floor. I decided pretty quickly  that I would be going with him rather than start on my endless stack of paperwork. Rocky was actually outside the window asleep on some scaffolding. He was so asleep, in fact, that his ears and feet were twitching and I wondered what raccoons dream about. We had a devil of a time waking him up. But it had to be done... what if one of the kids opened the window?!?  He stepped away and looked back at us sleepily...shook himself awake once and then a few more times  to focus and figure out what was going on. He was old. His face was very grey --- the way an old Irish setter's would be. He was a bit lame. Poor thing. He thought he'd found the perfect hiding place in the Boogie Down Bronx.  He moved down to the third story of the scaffold... and then disappeared. He was sighted there again the next morning, but no word of him since. I am hoping he followed the Boston Post Road into the zoo. Now that would be a good place to live out his days with sleeping and dreaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment