Saturday, July 31, 2010



July 31 at 9:26am


Robert Moses Report:


The husband changed his mind regarding a beach walk this morning. I was later than usual because I stopped to write a letter before leaving. I tossed a thermal shirt on the passenger seat and wondered if I would actually brave the water this morning. Too late to find deer, I headed for my usual haunt.

A few humans for company, some wrapped in blankets, all in lawnchairs and sipping coffee. I straddled a sand cliff to reach surf and walked right in. The first few waves were indeed frigid. I found an underwater cliff where stones and shells apparently go to socialize. When the water began to feel warm, I knew it was time to head home. Just after the turnaround, but before the hump-back bridge, between Prius and guard rail was a doe looking undecided. Would she bound into the brush or in front of me toward the grazing field beneath the tower? I put on the hazards and gave her a chance to think about it. She crossed in front of me, then sharp left, walked down the side of the nose of my car, looked in the driver's side window and stared. How close? How long? This close and this long: when did I forget that deer have long, blonde whiskers sprouting from their chins?????? Those sweet eyes I did not forget, but I don't recall ever being able to gaze so silently or for so long. Robert, I think you and I are in this for the long haul!



No comments:

Post a Comment